Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Got my arse left behind...

Since I am such a big fan of “easing into the day”… I got my arse left behind in Marfa, Texas Saturday morning.
( I wasn’t the only one either!!)


Biking around the country with a strong-arm like Theresa can be a challenge for people like me (us) , but I’m learning. Say, for example, the pronouncement is made, “Kickstands up at 8:00 a.m.!” Well, that means just that: 8:00 a.m., and hangovers be-darned.

However... the second-shifters (8:01 a.m.) enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, gassed up at the local Valero and just couldn’t wait to sashay on over to the Marfa Public Radio station, tucked in between Marfa City Hall and the Marfa Police Station.

Also of note in the City of Marfa that day...

(Clearly a violation...)
... but I don’t get many opportunities to live dangerously.

As we were walking back to our bikes, I overheard Sheriff Juan mutter, “God Bless Texas!”

The Marfa Public Radio visit had been my idea (I worship Garrison Keillor and am an NPR contributor -- nerd-- ), strongly backed up by Becky. Our ultimate goal was to acquire some chocolate and powder-blue Marfa Public Radio t-shirts. We were especially keen on acquiring a t-shirt for Erik also.

I can only say one thing about Marfa Public Radio… I totally want to unhook this sleepy little radio station's bra strap and give it a good tickle. They were out of the ultracool chocolate/powder-blue Marfa Public Radio t-shirts, for crying out loud!
Once the second-shifters had exhausted all of our stalling techniques, we decided it best to saddle up and head for Austin (420 miles-plus.) The trip was cold and fast. I couldn’t have predicted this, but an act of God caused us to stop for cellophane-wrapped sandwiches and diarrhea-triggering coffee at a small gas station. While gassing up, we pried Becky's frozen fingers off of her Sportster and massaged her back to life. It was clear that we needed to make a couple of bike swaps.

The decision was made that she and Dilana would switch bikes. It was nerve-rattling to think about but it seemed to be our only option. The gorgeous Sportster is Becky's first bike; the only size bike that she has ever ridden. We put Becky on this rip-roarin' beast.


In the bathroom I asked Becky, “Are you afraid?”

“Awhellyeah, I’m afraid!"

To my way of thinking, that was a very good answer. But I knew that Becky would much warmer and more comfortable.



As it turns out, Becky was a champ. I expect that she'll be acquiring herself a bigger bike for future trips.

To cut to the chase, both shifts made it to Austin from Marfa in one piece. Beautiful riding. Deer crossing signs every 20 miles; dead deer carcasses along and on the road every 2.5 miles. Unbelievable.

Alas, we'd made it through the carnage, and Jesus rays were breaking though the clouds.

Tequila shots and champagne all around!!

*** Special love and recognition to my wonderful husband, Kevin, for taking such good care of his "little biker harem" that day. His patience was heroic!


(rooftop pool in San Antonio)

** It makes me somewhat uncomfortable knowing that there is a 50,000-gallon swimming pool over my hotel room.

No comments:

Post a Comment